Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Jazz Sucks


(Image taken from: blogs.forward.com)

Back in my senior year in college, I took a class on Jazz just so I could get a better understanding of it. And even though I did in fact learn to appreciate artists like Coltrane and Parker, I still came out of it thinking one thing: Jazz sucks.

And here's the problem with it.

The musicians who play it seem to think that it's still important. In a sense, it WAS important. One of the only true things that America can brag about and say that it created was jazz music. And it opened the door for other better music like rock and roll and rap. Really, though, anybody who plays jazz today is a relic that looks like this:



It really is a joke.

But remember, I'm talking about the kind of jazz that most people associate it with when they hear the title. That's not to say that ALL jazz is awful. Herbie Hancock's Future Shock is actually really awesome, mostly, because it doesn't sound like jazz at all. It sounds like early dance music. Take a listen.



It's a good example of jazz fusion. But everything is better with fusion. Metroid. V8 Splash. Jazz. I mean, fusions improve everything. It's kind of hard for jazz to NOT be better without it, really.

So, on that note, I'm going to leave you with the only real jazz musician that I can tolerate and not have a shit fit over. SHOOBY!

No comments: