Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Top Five Weirdest Films I've Ever Seen

What makes a weird movie for me? Well, I usually have a quotient of about five WTF per film. If a movie goes over that for me, then it's weird. And here are five of the weirdest I've ever seen.


(Image taken from: moviemobsters.com)

5. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Terry Gilliam's entire career has pretty much been WTF. (I mean, have you ever SEEN The Adventures of Baron Munchausen?) But Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas goes on this list simply because I can't believe it's even a movie. I also can't believe that people have actually seen it. A large portion of the film is just Johnny Depp making weird noises and flicking his fingers while narrating over it. And the other portion of the film is Benicio Del Toro waving a knife around while he sticks out his gut. So, um...yeah. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the movie. But I also love eating ice cream in my underwear while sitting on the toilet. Make of that as you will.



4. Barton Fink


(Image taken from: tvtropes.org)

Barton Fink is so weird because I honesty have no idea what to categorize it as. It's seriously uncategorizeable. John Turturro has writer's block and then it goes someplace else that I'm not quite sure. The most notable, WTF moment of the movie for me is when John Goodman shouts "I'll show you the life of the mind!" while holding a shotgun and running down a hallway while flames shoot out behind him. I'm dead serious that happens in the movie. That's actually in this film...this film about writer's block.



3. Zardoz


(Image taken from: bluemoviereviews.wordpress.com)

I've talked about Zardoz plenty of times on this blog, but seriously, how could I not? I mean, there is so much WTF going on here in this film that it's art. What other film features a giant, floating head barfing out guns, or has Sean Connery licking some dude's hand like a cat? Only one film, and that film is Zardoz.



2. Gozu


(Image taken from: horror-extreme.com)

You might be surprised that there are no David Lynch films on this list. Well, Gozu is so weird that it makes up for the absence of all of Lynch's films combined. Takashi Miike made a couple of very popular surreal films (Audition and Ichi Killer) that came stateside, but neither of those films matches the absurdness of this picture. It quite possibly has the greatest climax ever (A grown man being birthed by a woman...who may have been that same man) followed by the most abrupt explanation of said event ever (Something along the lines of, they gave the woman a bath and she was fine). There's also a lactating woman who bottles her own nutrients and a man in a giant bull's head who licks this guy's face while he's in his underwear. Weird. And beautiful.



1. Tokyo Gore Police


(Image taken from: themoviedb.org)

I don't think there's a single scene in Tokyo Gore Police where I'm not saying WTF. Did I like it? Well, it really depends on the day, really. But as weird as I am, I seriously can't compare anything in mind to what is shown in this movie. I mean, just watch this scene below, please, and then tell me if anything in your DREAMS is even as crazy as this? Yeah, I didn't think so.

No comments: