Monday, June 25, 2012

Review: Black Boy by Richard Wright

Black BoyBlack Boy by Richard Wright

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Black Boy is yet another masterpiece by Richard Wright, who wrote the stunning Native Son. All people interested in learning about oppression will appreciate this book, but I feel this autobiography speaks clearest to black Americans, specifically ones who are intelligent and have felt isolated by their own race. It holds up today as well as I'm sure it held up back then, with my only qualm being the second part of the book, which was added in the early 90s long after the author's death. This second section, entitled, "American Hunger" chronicles Wright's move up north and his joining of the Communist Party. It doesn't detract from the book, but I feel it lacks the speed and energy of the first part. Other than that, though, it's a masterwork. If you haven't read it already, read it now. It's an enlightening book.



View all my reviews

No comments: