Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Review: VALIS

VALISVALIS by Philip K. Dick

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


What did I just read? VALIS is such a strange book (By the strange author, Philip K. Dick, I might add) that I'm not sure how I really feel about it. What was real, what was fiction, and is it possible that they were one in the same in this book, or least in PHK's frayed mind?

It's well-known that PKD did go on a spiritual journey throughout his life, but it's hard to sum up if it was because of drugs (Which is very possible), or if it was a real religious experience (Which is questionable). VALIS is like the channel to learn what PHK endured, and in the end, I'm not sure what I really believe. Again, it's a strange book, possibly the strangest I've ever read, and I'm undecided on how I feel about it. If you're interested in PHK's life during his more trying years, then this is required reading. But if you just want to read a sci-fi tale, I suggest you read some of his more popular works, like "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" You'll definitely have an opinion on something like that. With VALIS, I'm not so sure.



View all my reviews

No comments: