Wednesday, November 27, 2013

My Top Ten Favorite TV Characters Of All Time

While I'm no Alan Sepinwall, I do like to think that I watch an unhealthy amount of television. And to me, there's nothing more important to a TV show than its characters. Here's a list of my favorite TV characters of all time. Do any of mine make your list?
(Image taken from: yotellmehow.webs.com)

10. Bruh Man from Martin

Bruh Man (From the 5th flo) was just another crazy character in a show with a multitude of crazy characters (Many of whom who were played by Martin Lawrence himself). But Bruh Man was different, and any time he'd come through Martin's window uninvited, you knew something insane but hilarious was going to come out of his mouth. Definitely my favorite character on the show. No question.



(Image taken from: www.adherents.com)

9. Sailor Mars from Sailor Moon

The feistiest of all the Sailor Scouts, Sailor Mars was like the Raphael (The Ninja Turtle, not the painter) of the group. She wouldn't take crap from Sabrina and was definitely the hottest of all the scouts with her black hair and red miniskirt. In later years, I found that I would flock to bad girls like Sailor Mars, but I would never hook up with them. They just weren't my type. Only on TV, only on TV.



(Image taken from: www.vulture.com)

8. Proposition Joe From The Wire

Most people would probably cite Omar or Stringer Bell as their favorite character from The Wire, but, nope, not me. That position would go directly to Prop Joe, who was always my favorite character on the show. I just loved everything about him. I loved his nuggets of wisdom, his hair style, and even the way he would lean back in his seat, like a boss, and intertwine his fingers on his gut. He was a background character to be sure, but an important one. I would always smile whenever he made an appearance on the show. RIP, big dog.



(Image taken from: blog.truffleshuffle.co.uk)

7. Raphael from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Raphael was cool, but rude (Gimmie a break!), which is the reason why I loved him. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, the turtles played a huge part in my life, and Raphael was my absolute favorite. He was the rebel, the jerk, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Leonardo was definitely the leader, but Raphael was the one I always pretended to be on the playground. Gotta love those sais.



(Image taken from: fauxmablog.wordpress.com)

6. Al Bundy from Married With Children

Looking back, I honestly can't believe my dad used to let me watch Married With Children when I was younger, but I'm glad he did, because I got to see one of the greatest TV dads in modern history was Al Bundy. Al was a true man of his era, and he was proud of it. Whether he was talking about scoring the final touchdown in high school or complaining about the fat chicks at his job, Al Bundy was always captivating and hilarious to watch. No, Peg.

(Image taken from: sciwiki.scifiontv.com

5. Brisco from The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

While I know it's cool to love Firefly and Captain Malcolm Reynolds, I'll take Brisco Country Jr. any day of the week over it. You may ask, why I would make such a comparison, but I make it for a number of reasons. One is because both Firefly and Brisco County were westerns (Firefly was just a western in space), and two, it's debatable who's the better cult hero--Nathan Fillion or Bruce Campbell, and for my money, I'd going with Bruce Campbell. This was the TV role that defined him and it's why Brisco County is one of my favorite TV characters of all time. You can never get enough of the chin.



(Image taken from: www.aintitcool.com)

4. Jack Bauer from 24

Before it got terrible, I used to LOVE 24. Absolutely love it. And the reason behind that love was squarely because of Jack Bauer, who was the toughest SOB on network TV. He would torture people to get what he needed and you just knew he'd make it out alive in the end. He even beat heroin in a single day. Jack Bauer, you're so cool.



(Image taken from: www.zmescience.com)

3. Homer Simpson from The Simpsons

The Simpsons might be all but unwatchable now, but back in its heyday, it was the best show on TV, bar none. And behind the laughter was Homer Simpson, who was the most dysfunctional father on television. What makes Homer so great is that he's such a moron, but entirely lovable at the same time. You can't hate him no matter what he does, even if it's strangling his own son. No other character in television history could get away with that before him. He's America's favorite dummy, a monkey that can talk.



(Image taken from: www.hbo.com)

2. Tony Soprano from The Sopranos

Probably the most complex character to ever grace TV (Outside of my number one pick), Tony Soprano had issues, and that's why America loved him. Sure, he was the head of a NJ crime family, but what made people take notice was that Tony had probably more problems at home than he did in running his business. Played straight by James Gandolfini, Tony Soprano was fascinating in every single aspect of the word. RIP, Gandolfini. Your legacy will live on forever in your portrayal of Tony Soprano.



(Image taken from: www.entrepreneur.com)

1. Walter White from Breaking Bad

Anybody who knows me would have known this pick was coming a mile away. Walter White is the greatest character in television history because he had the most growth over the course of his five seasons. From mild-mannered teacher to child-poisoning scumbag, Walter White showed that every man has a dark side. It's the choice that matters, and Walter White made some of the worst and most intriguing ones. Best. Character. Ever.

No comments: