Sunday, April 6, 2014

Review: E.L.F. White Leaves

White Leaves (E.L.F. #1)White Leaves by M.P. Ness
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Let me just start this off by saying that I'm not a big fantasy guy. I mean, I can enjoy fantasy if it's light on the fantasy and more on the realistic side of things, but I've never been a guy who's into elves or sorcery. E.L.F. starts off on a realistic note, given that it's about eco-terrorists, but then it goes off into a different territory involving elves and stuff like that. That's where it threw me a little. That said, I am probably one of the only people who cannot get through the Lord of the Rings books, and I did get through this book, so that's definitely saying something. M.P. Ness shines when he's writing action scenes, as I know another critic noted. The story of the black leaves and Lady White Leaves is intriguing in that there is a good central female character in Shannon Hunter, who it takes a little while to like, but once you do, you're with her all the way. The writing is good, even though I feel there could have been more description with setting scenes, and the pacing goes quickly once you get to about to page 50 or so. Overall, if you dig fantasy, give this book one more star to my review. It's a good book. It's just not my thing.

View all my reviews

No comments: