Sunday, June 22, 2014

Review: Angels In America

Angels in AmericaAngels in America by Mike Nichols
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I don't get it. Maybe if I actually saw the play I could get a better sense of what the hell was going on, but from what I read, it seemed like a lot of retreading of the same territory over and over again. I'm gay. I have AIDS. I didn't know you were gay. We're hallucinating. Angels.

From the brief bit I saw of the HBO mini-movie, it all seemed pretty fantastic in the sense of production. But unlike other plays I've read where you can get a true sense of character and structure just by reading it, Angels in America is all over the place. Much like August Strindberg's, A Dream Play, it's the kind of play that I think you HAVE to see performed to get a true sense of what's actually going on.

So as a play, I'm sure it's wonderful, but as a story on the page, it sucks. I hated it.

View all my reviews

No comments: