Thursday, January 1, 2015

Review: Blankets

BlanketsBlankets by Craig Thompson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Blankets is an enjoyable, fast read about a young boy coming to grips with his faith, his childhood, and his first love. In the end, you feel his growth.

The artwork serves its purpose, and at time's, it's pretty spectacular. But there are a few aspects of the story I wish the author would have dwelt on more, namely a traumatic incident that happened to both he and his brother as children. I would have liked to have seen more of how it impacted them later in life, as it must have, something like that.

But this is the author's story, and he told it deftly through mostly pictures and little dialogue, which I appreciate. A good, solid read. It's a hefty book, but it's not daunting once you actually open it and see how pictures, rather than text, dominate the book. It's nearly 600 pages and I read it in a couple of hours. It's worth the time and the attention.

View all my reviews

No comments: