Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Review: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar WaoThe Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wow. There were moments of this book that spoke to me more than any other book I've ever read. All the stuff about a fat, ugly, nerd from New Jersey who had trouble getting girls really spoke to me, a fat, ugly nerd from New Jersey who had trouble getting girls. All that stuff was great, and I really wish the whole book was that. But it's not. Along the way, we get a heavy dose of Fuku, which is a curse that all Dominicans are said to have in this book because of the assassination of their dictator, Trujillo, or, El Jefe as he's more commonly known (That's how I knew him, anyway). Within this tale, we also learn a great deal about his sister, grandfather, and mother, and how all their lives are cursed because of the tyrannical dictator.

It's all really compelling stuff, but all throughout, I just wanted to get back to Oscar's story. In that way, the book feels a little uneven. It's not that the other chapters aren't great. It's just that they weren't what I wanted to read. But that's more a personal preference than anything else.

All in all, there's enough nerdy references to make any geek smile. So if you want a book that's even closer to the geek heart than Ready Player One, then this is your story. It's thoroughly enjoyable and even beautiful at parts. Pick it up.

View all my reviews

No comments: